Student Contents Insurance

A simple policy to protect your personal possessions whilst at university.

Buy Now

or call us on 01306 746 300


Our Student Contents insurance policy covers your personal possessions at University, in halls or rented accommodation, at your permanent home address and whilst travelling to and from University. 

  • Low cost insurance
  • Choice of cover
  • Loss, Theft and Accidental Damage
  • Low excess



 In order to purchase this insurance you must have a valid UK address


Please see the table below for the cover options available. We believe that up to £5,000 should cover the contents taken to university by most students. By keeping our cover options simple and easy to understand, we are able to remain competitive when compared to some of the main student insurance providers. 

Total sum insured


Monthly Premium


£25 each and every loss other than:

Mobile phone £50

Laptop/Computer £100

Tablet £50



including a bicycle

£25 each and every loss other than:

Mobile phone £50

Laptop/Computer £100

Tablet £50



£25 each and every loss other than:

Mobile phone £50

Laptop/Computer £100

Tablet £50




including a bicycle

£25 each and every loss other than:

Mobile phone £50

Laptop/Computer £100

Tablet £50


Cover provided

The University Student Contents Policy is an annual all risk policy which insures your personal possessions at university, at your permanent home address and on the journey to and from university.

You get £100 of cover for things you carry around with you such as the contents of your handbag, jacket or wallet, in addition to a mobile phone. This includes £40 of cash.

Items are insured against them being damaged in a fire, flood, or other natural calamity, or if they are accidentally damaged or stolen.

Limit of cover

We believe that up to £5,000 should cover most university students. If you have any individual items valued at over £500 you must specify them. These might include sports or musical equipment, or a bicycle. Although the policy does provide insurance cover for one laptop and one mobile phone, you must specify them on the application form. If you don't we cannot cover them.  There is a single article limit of £500 for a mobile phone and £1,000 for all other items.

Levels of excess

The excess for any claim made for a mobile phone is £50, £100 for a laptop/computer and £50 for a Tablet.

All other claims will be subject to a £25 policy excess. 

Policy extensions

• Your personal possessions, are covered if they are locked in yours or somebody else's car.

• The furniture or other items, such as mirrors belonging to the university or landlord in your room, up to a maximum of £1,000, if they suffer accidental damage.

• Replacement of your room keys or a replacement lock up to £150.

• Reimbursement of your university fees if you have to miss more than one term, due to illness or an accident, up to a maximum of £2,000. (If the university reimburses you then you may not claim a second time).

• Accidental damage to, or theft of, library books up to a maximum of £200.

• £10,000 in the event of the accidental death of a parent or legal guardian (This is not intended to value your irreplaceable loss but the funding they may have provided you with at university).

• £75 of replacement costs for spoiled food if your freezer breaks or fails to work because of the cessation of the electrical supply.

What is not covered

• The first £25 of each and every claim, except cash where it is the first £10.

• The first £50 of any claim made for a mobile phone. The first £50 of any claim made for a Tablet.

• The first £100 of any claim made for a laptop/computer.

• Any damage knowingly and deliberately caused by you.

• Damage caused by moth, vermin, wear and tear.

• Damage from electrical or mechanical faults or breakdown in the particular item.

• Damage to, or deterioration of, any article caused by dyeing, cleaning, repair, renovation or whilst being worked upon.

• Breakage of strings, reeds or drumheads forming parts of musical instruments.

• Breakage of any sports equipment whilst in use.

• Credit and debit cards, animals, motor vehicles, contact, corneal or micro corneal lenses.

• Accidental damage to CDs, tapes, records, disks or computer software.

• Any indirect loss, e.g. loss of an essay or dissertation as a result of computer failure or damage.

• Loss or damage to bicycle tyres, lamps and accessories unless the bicycle is stolen or damaged at the same time.

• The theft of a bicycle unless it was locked to an immoveable object or kept in a locked building at the time of the theft.

• Any equipment, integrated circuit, computer chip, computer software and any other computer related equipment that fails to recognise correctly any date change.

• More than one mobile phone, one laptop/computer and one tablet per policy.

• Any mobile phone, computer or laptop computer and tablet which has not been specified on the policy.

General Exclusions

This insurance does not cover direct or indirect loss or damage to any property caused by, contributed to or arising from the following:

  • Radioactive contamination from:
  • Ionising radiation or contamination from any nuclear fuel, or from any nuclear waste arising from burning nuclear fuel; or
  • The radioactive, toxic, explosive or other dangerous effect of any explosive nuclear equipment or part of that equipment.
  • War, invasion, civil war, revolution, acts of foreign enemy, hostilities (whether war declared or not), rebellion, insurrection, military or usurped power.
  • Pollution or contamination of air, water or soil, unless the pollution or contamination is directly caused by an event which is sudden, identifiable, unintended and unexpected. The whole event must happen at a specific time and place during the period of insurance.
  • We will not cover claims arising from pollution or contamination which happen as a result of deliberately releasing substances, or as a result of leaks, other than water or oil leaking or spilling from your or the Hall's of Residence fixed domestic water or heating systems.
  • Wear and tear, corrosion, rot of any kind, woodworm, fungus, mildew, rust, insects and any cause that happens gradually.
  • Indirect loss of any kind.
  • Biological or chemical contamination due to or arising from:

• Terrorism; or

• Steps taken to prevent, control or reduce the consequences of any suspected, threatened or attempted terrorism.

In this exclusion, terrorism means any act of any person or organisation involving: Causing or threatening harm; or putting the public or any section of the public in fear if it is likely that the purpose is of a political, religious, ideological (of an intellectual or rational nature) or similar nature.


Which items do I need to specify?

You need to specify your mobile phone, laptop or tablet and any other item valued over £500.

What is covered under this policy?

The policy covers all your possessions in your room at university or college or in rented accommodation; at your permanent home address; on the journey to and from university or college in a train or car; plus those things that you would normally carry around with you. You are insured against them being damaged in a fire, flood, or other natural calamity, or if they are accidentally damaged or stolen.

Is there an excess if I make a claim?

Yes, there is a £50 excess applicable to your mobile phone and tablet and a £100 excess on your laptop or computer. All other claims are subject to an excess of £25 except a cash loss which is subject to a £10 excess.

Is there a limit to what I can claim for?

Yes. There is a single article limit of £750 for your mobile phone, £1250 for a laptop and tablet and £1000 for any other item.  In total you will only be able to claim for the total sum insured selected by you and shown on your certificate.

When does the cover end?

You may end it at any time by giving us 14 days' notice in writing or by email. We will invite renewal of this policy each year on 1st September.

What happens in the event of a claim?

Please contact our Customer Service Department on 01306 746300 who will take brief details of the claim and forward this information to Adjusting Associates LLP, a specialist claims management company who will then correspond with you regarding the claim.

If you have any questions or concerns about the handling of a claim you should, in the first instance, contact:

Managing Director, SFS Group Ltd, Dean House Farm, Church Road, Newdigate, RH5 5DL Tel. 01306 746300.

In the event that you remain dissatisfied and wish to make a complaint, you can do so at any time by referring the matter to Lloyd's.

Lloyd’s address is: Policyholder & Market Assistance, Market Services, Lloyd’s, One Lime Street, London EC3M 7HA Tel No: 020 7327 5693 E-mail: Details of Lloyd’s complaints procedures are set out in a leaflet ‘Your Complaint - How We Can Help’ available at also available from the above address.

If you remain dissatisfied after Lloyd’s has considered your complaint, you may have the right to refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service: The Financial Ombudsman Service, South Quay Plaza, 183 Marsh Wall, LONDON E14 9SR Telephone: 0800 023 4567 from a land line or 0300 1239123 from a mobile phone or e-mail The FOS will only consider your complaint if you are a private individual or a “micro enterprise”. A “micro-enterprise” is defined as a business with an annual turnover not exceeding €2million and fewer than ten staff.

Policy Wording

Click here to view and download the Student Contents Insurance Policy Wording.


Click here to view and download the Student Contents Insurance Keyfacts.

To speak to an advisor email us on or call us now on 01306 746 300